Friday, April 25, 2014

Final Reflections


Before taking this class I had always enjoyed sport. I grew up playing sports, like most kids I engaged in a range of sports, I played peewee baseball, soccer, tennis, and even tried track; I was interested in any activity in which I could exert my energy. Aside from playing sports, they have always served as entertainment that have and continue to bring my family and friends together.

Being a sports fan and following the news that surrounds it, I was aware of some of the issues. However, from this course I learned the greater depth of gender and race inequality, the norms, and perceptions that surround sport that I was not conscious of before.  For example, I got a greater understanding of the LGBT issues and the stigma that is associated with such athletes. Overall this class has opened my eyes. It is clear now that sport and politics inevitably bleed into one another.

I believe that the skills and knowledge that I received in this course will definitely be valuable in the future. It has allowed me to critically analyze sport in a way that I had not before. If anyone were considering taking this course I would definitely recommend it because it is something that we all engage in, both individually and culturally. 

Last Blog Woo!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Overall great blog!! I really like your opinion on why you would reccomend this class to your friends because I agree with you that sports are something we all engage in both individually and culturally. Good luck with the rest of your semester! I enjoyed reading your blogs throughout this class.
    Alex Hiser

    ReplyDelete