In this Carl’s Jr. commercial, normative gender roles are clearly underlined. Terrell Owens a former NFL receiver is poolside eating a hamburger and is surrounded by women in bikinis. The scene casts Terrell Owen as the “bad boy” whereas the women simply provide sex appeal and reaffirm the athlete’s status. This is highlighted through the way the women are positioned, they are seen bending over T.O as if they are praising or worshipping him, while Owens is seen as relaxed and comfortable with hamburger in hand; owning the macho image.
Carl’s Jr. has always used seductive women for advertisement. These women are always wearing minimal clothing and are consistently positioned in sexual positions, a strategy used to make hamburgers seem attractive or sexy. This message is explicit in each of their commercials; however, it is important to note that this tactic is present throughout western media. The saying “sex sells” is obviously something that is taken to heart and used on a consistent basis, even when the product itself has nothing to do with sex. The women displayed are skinny and their bodies are clearly emphasized.
Therefore with this in mind it is evident that mainstream illustrations distort our perception of beauty and what is important. I would argue that such advertisements persuade people especially our female youth that personal value is determined strictly on physical appearance and nothing else. I believe that this is very dangerous because it suggests that people are not good enough as they are and that they need to make adjustments accordingly to fit the ideal image. As a result eating disorders such anorexia and bulimia have become more prevalent. Thus, I believe that we need more advertisements that promote natural beauty such as the dove campaign that was recently lauched to challenge these mainstream representations and provide an alternative and healthier message to the public.
Video link: http://youtu.be/o0EzeStwP5I

I really like the fact that you pointed out how the mainstream media is so involved in reproducing the ideal "beautiful" woman and how this effects our own views as well as others about beauty and what is seen as important to women in regards to how they look. I think this a big problem with our media and I also agree with the solution you presented.
ReplyDelete-Tyler Pigford